This Covid-19 virus has made me more aware of my health and immunity. With essential medicines running low because of unnecessary hoarding, and the worry of the symptoms we may face, which may not be covid-19, but allergies, sinusitis and even nervous tummys, I feel that it is essential to share my methods for staying on top of illnesses during this time…and beyond. These 9 NATURAL REMEDIES have been tried and tested with me and my 10 year old for years, and are suitable for adults, children and babies.
1. COUGH – The foot is where essential healing begins, hence the popular trend of reflexology. At bedtime, lather both feet with pure eucalyptus essential oil and wear socks. If you don’t have eucalyptus oil then tiger balm is good, and the last resort is Vicks vapor rub. Maintain this regime every night until the cough subsides.
2. SORE THROAT – Everyone knows about gargling with warm salt water, made from sea salt and boiled water, but I have found something additional that helps. Make sure you have a good supply of limes! Cut a lime in half and suck on the juice! Yes it’s sour…but it will definitely make your throat feel better quite quickly!
3. FEVER – Over the counter meds are helpful, but if you don’t have any, or you can catch the fever in time, garlic and honey is the safest, easiest and very effective option. You can create a batch in a reusable glass container so that it is available whenever you need it. Crush the garlic – be generous with the amount of cloves – and add plenty of honey. Mix well and leave to marinate. A nice generous tablespoon should do the trick. But it is safe enough to take numerous amounts throughout the day.
4. EARACHES – Children tend to suffer greatly with many forms of ear pain and the pain is excruciating! There is very little to help with this issue, except a good home remedy. Make a batch of garlic and virgin olive oil. Use a small bottle and cut up enough garlic to fill the bottle. Pour in olive oil so that all the garlic is immersed. Ideally this concoction should be left to marinate for a very long time to allow the garlic to release it’s antibiotic properties. Use a cotton swab, dip into the mixture and lather the entire ear, inside and out. *I have a bottle my mum made that is now about 15 years old and it is a miracle worker! I use it on anything I can think of!
5. SEVERE INTESTINAL PAIN (GRIPE) – What feels like stomach spasms that have you doubled over in pain and cold sweats, which can strike without warning sometimes, is actually intestinal pain! Alkaline water with a PH level of 9 is more effective than any of the antacid meds on the market. Just half a glass of this water and the horrific spasms will stop almost immediately. *Word of warning though…be near a toilet. Your body is about to eject something from the rear end!
6. TUMMY ACHE/DIARRHEA/VOMITING – Often times children/young people will suffer ongoing stomach pains ranging from mild to severe. This may be accompanied by bouts of “poo poo vomit” (as my daughter calls it) and nausea/vomiting. All of which can cause alarm, especially if you are like me, and start panicking about appendicitis! Fear not! As I have discovered that these are symptoms of a stomach infection and there is a lack of healthy gut bacteria to help in the fight. Probiotics are required urgently! Probiotic yoghurt drinks are easy to acquire, work effectively for younger children and can be consumed copiously without fear of over medicating. For older children and adults, probiotic tablets are much stronger, can be swallowed effortlessly, but please heed the directions on the packaging!
7. TOOTHACHE – The pain from a toothache is unbearable! One tooth in pain can cause your entire mouth to feel like it’s suffering. Have you heard of oil pulling? This is safe and effective for the entire family. Using cold-press coconut oil, pour enough into your mouth so you can gargle and swish it around. You will need to hold the oil in your mouth for as long as possible – ideally for 5 mins, then spit it into the toilet, not the sink.*This is going to be harder than it sounds! For smaller children, coat the tooth and gums in the garlic olive oil mixture you made previously for earache.
8. CONJUNCTIVITIS (ITCHY EYES) – Create a saline solution using sea salt and boiled water. Make sure that the salt to water ratio isn’t too strong! Place the liquid in a sterilised bottle with a dropper. Add a couple drops into each eye intermittently throughout the day.
9. VITAMINS – Vitamin C and D are two of the most invaluable vitamins required to keep our immunity boosted and strong. Most items we consume on a daily basis lack these 2 vitamins and we must consciously ensure we stay topped up. This can be difficult on a day to day basis when trying to keep up with the speed of life. Supplements are key additions to the breakfast routine for everyone in your family, especially if citrus fruits are missing from the fridge and the weather is horrific! Cod liver oil capsules for adults and children 12 and older are key every morning. For children 12 and under there are easy to swallow fish oil capsules with additional vitamins A, B and C. Vitamin C with zinc slow release tablets are perfect for adults and children 12 and over. All of these can be found in your local chemist/pharmacy.
During this time of uncertainty where our immunity shall be pushed to the limits, popping to the doctor’s is essentially off limits, and shelves in the chemist are being cleared of traditional medications, I hope these home remedies will come in handy and make this period of isolation easier when trying to manage certain symptoms.
Stay safe fellow warriors x